Today Microsoft announced the Release of System Center 2012.
Please go watch the recording of the web cast to learn more!
You can Download all evaluation software.
With System Center 2012 RC versions available Microsoft has also implemented some licensing changes.
I will point out some most important changes for you.
Currently the various System Center products (SCCM, SCOM, SCSM, DPM, …) can be purchased individually or as bundles.
This is what changes with system center 2012
Server Management Licensing
With System Center 2012 there will be 2 Flavors.
- Standard: For lightly or non-virtualized private cloud workloads
- Datacenter: Maximizes cloud capacity with unlimited Operating System Environments (OSEs) for high density private clouds
System Center 2012 server management licensing maximizes your private cloud value while simplifying purchasing.
- License required only for endpoints being managed. No additional licenses needed for management servers or SQL Server technology
- Consistent licensing model across editions. Processor based license, covering up to two processors targeted at most common hardware configuration
- Same capabilities across editions differentiated by virtualization rights. All server management licenses include the same components and the ability to manage any private cloud workload
Client Management Licensing
System Center 2012 client management licensing provides simple, cost-effective options to manage and protect client systems. Client management licenses are available in three offers:
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager: System Center 2012 Configuration Manager is available on a per-user or per-OSE basis as well as in the Core CAL and Enterprise CAL suites.
System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection: System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (the next version of Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010) is available as a per-user or per-device subscription as well as in the Core CAL and Enterprise CAL suites. The subscription includes all antimalware updates and product upgrades during the subscription period.
System Center Client Management Suite: The System Center 2012 Client Management Suite is available on a per-user or per-OSE basis as well as in the Enterprise CAL suite. It is composed of Data Protection Manager, Operations Manager, Service Manager, and Orchestrator.
Core CAL and Enterprise CAL Suites will continue to be the most cost effective way to purchase client management products.
In my opinion a good move from Microsoft. You get an entire suite for the price of a single product.