Today Microsoft announced the Release of System Center 2012.
Please go watch the recording of the web cast to learn more!
You can Download all evaluation software.
With System Center 2012 RC versions available Microsoft has also implemented some licensing changes.
Here you can download the System Center 2012 licensing FAQ
More licensing info
I will point out some most important changes for you.
Currently the various System Center products (SCCM, SCOM, SCSM, DPM, …) can be purchased individually or as bundles.
This is what changes with system center 2012
Server Management Licensing
With System Center 2012 there will be 2 Flavors.
- Standard: For lightly or non-virtualized private cloud workloads
- Datacenter: Maximizes cloud capacity with unlimited Operating System Environments (OSEs) for high density private clouds
System Center 2012 server management licensing maximizes your private cloud value while simplifying purchasing.
- License required only for endpoints being managed. No additional licenses needed for management servers or SQL Server technology
- Consistent licensing model across editions. Processor based license, covering up to two processors targeted at most common hardware configuration
- Same capabilities across editions differentiated by virtualization rights. All server management licenses include the same components and the ability to manage any private cloud workload
Client Management Licensing
System Center 2012 client management licensing provides simple, cost-effective options to manage and protect client systems. Client management licenses are available in three offers:
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager: System Center 2012 Configuration Manager is available on a per-user or per-OSE basis as well as in the Core CAL and Enterprise CAL suites.
System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection: System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (the next version of Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010) is available as a per-user or per-device subscription as well as in the Core CAL and Enterprise CAL suites. The subscription includes all antimalware updates and product upgrades during the subscription period.
System Center Client Management Suite: The System Center 2012 Client Management Suite is available on a per-user or per-OSE basis as well as in the Enterprise CAL suite. It is composed of Data Protection Manager, Operations Manager, Service Manager, and Orchestrator.
Core CAL and Enterprise CAL Suites will continue to be the most cost effective way to purchase client management products.
In my opinion a good move from Microsoft. You get an entire suite for the price of a single product.
Deploy System Center Advisor
The System Center Advisor environment consists of a web service and on-premise software (a gateway to communicate with the service, and one or more agents to collect and analyze data). Perform the following steps to deploy Advisor in your environment:
- Review the System Center Advisor System Requirements.
- Read the Planning Considerations for System Center Advisor to build a topology that matches your environment. If you have a firewall in your environment, review the Firewall Information for System Center Advisor.
- Create an Account and Download the On-Premise Softwareand download the gateway and agent setup wizard.
- Install the gateway and agent. Use one of the following methods:
- Register a gateway(if this did not occur during gateway installation).
- Authorize Agents to Access the Gatewayif you choose to limit access to the gateway during gateway installation.
- Configure the Gateway and Agent. (Optional)
- If you run into any issues, review Advisor Deployment Troubleshooting.
I completed the first 3 steps.
I was wondering how I could speed up the agent deployment to the whole environment. We have configuration Manager 2007. The SCA documentation states we can install the agent using command line.
Lets deploy the SCA On-Premise software Using SCCM 2007.
- Create a configuration Manager Package.
The data source contains the on-Premise software.
The Certificate is stored on a network Share: \share\RegistrationCert.pfx”>\\<server>\share\RegistrationCert.pfx
- Do not forget to copy the package to your distribution points.
- Create packages
- Install Advisor Agent Silent No Reboot
Install SCA Agent silent no reboot with installation logs in c:\temp\advisorLog.txt using <Gatewayserver FQDN> as gateway.
AdvisorSetup.exe “/l*v c:\temp\AdvisorLog.txt /qn INSTALL_AGENT=YES GATEWAY_SERVER=<SERVER FQDN>”
- Install Gateway Agent Silent No reboot
Install SCA gateway silent no reboot with installation logs in c:\temp\advisorLog.txt. Certificate is placed on a dedicated share.
AdvisorSetup.exe “/l*v c:\temp\AdvisorLog.txt /qn INSTALL_GATEWAY=YES REG_CERT_PATH=\\<file server\Advisor_sources\Certificates\RegistrationCert.pfx”
- Create Advertisements to deploy the agent / Gateway
I deployed the agent to scom1.vbox.local and the gateway to SCSM1.vbox.local
- Open www.systemcenteradvisor.com and check the servers page. All targeted servers should appear within 24 h.
All System Center Advisor Install parameters
System Center Advisor Usage
C:\> AdvisorSetup.exe /?
Installs System Center Advisor.
AdvisorSetup.exe [MSIstring=] [/?]
MSIstring= A string of MSI installation parameters, enclosed in quotes. This string can include standard MSI parameters, such as /qb as well as custom properties specific to Advisor. For standard MSI parameters, type MSIexec.exe /? You can specify the following custom installation parameters for Advisor by setting [PROPERTY=value].
- INSTALL_AGENT Indicates whether to install the agent. Value can be either YES or NO.
- INSTALL_GATEWAY Indicates whether to install the gateway. Value can be either YES or NO.
- INSTALL_LOCATION A string that identifies the installation directory. If no directory is specified, the default is %programfiles%\System Center Advisor.
- REG_CERT_PATH A string that identifies the directory where the registration certificate is located.
- PROXY_SERVER A string that identifies the DNS name for the proxy server the gateway should use to access the Internet. If you specify this parameter, you must also specify the PROXY_PORT.
- PROXY_PORT An integer that identifies the port for the proxy server. If you specify this parameter, you must also specify the
- GATEWAY_SERVER A string that identifies the DNS name of the gateway server that the agent will use.
- DO_NOT_REGISTER Instructs setup to skip registration of the gateway. Value can be either YES or NO.
- SECURE_AGENT_ACCESS Determines whether to restrict access to the gateway to pre-authorized agents only. Value can be either YES or NO.
Best of MMS 2011 will provide the best possible opportunity to learn about the latest IT Management products, solutions and technologies from Microsoft and how to apply them in your organization!
This 1-day event will provide you with an understanding of the latest technical updates on Desktop, Datacenter and Cloud management features and solutions from Microsoft.
You have the choice to either attend this event in person or follow it by using live-meeting.
Register In Person: https://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1032487389&Culture=en-US
Register for LiveMeeting: https://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1032487389&Culture=en-US
Just to remember.
Regardless of the method you use to run the installation program, the program checks for and uninstalls the following antimalware clients:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11
- Symantec Corporate Edition version 10
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise version 8.5 and version 8.7
- Trend Micro OfficeScan version 8.0 and version 10.0
- Forefront Client Security version 1 including the Operations Manager agent
What about Tamper protection?
But 1 important note about tamper protection. (password protected uninstall)
If the previously installed antimalware client has a tamper protection feature enabled, for example, if the software is password protected, you need to disable that tamper protection before you can install Forefront Endpoint Protection. Otherwise, the Forefront Endpoint Protection installation program will not be able to uninstall the existing antimalware client.
What about auto anti-malware remediation?
In addition, if you use a mechanism to automatically distribute and install antimalware to your client computers, you need to disable automatic installation before you install Forefront Endpoint Protection. For example, if you use WSUS to distribute Forefront Client Security (FCS) to your endpoints, before you install Forefront Endpoint Protection, you need to configure WSUS to not automatically reinstall FCS.
In just two weeks from now, you can join more than 1400 other developers and IT professionals to learn from top international and local speakers. Time is running out to secure your seat to the best BeLux Microsoft technology event of the year.
Did you know TechEd Europe will not return in autumn 2011, but later in 2012? Another reason to grab the chance and not miss TechDays 2011 in Belgium.
Have a look at the compilation video of last year’s event to taste the atmosphere!
The two-day conference
During the conference on April 26th and 27th, six Developer and IT-Pro tracks bring you a mix of new technology and in-depth content on current technology with over 60 sessions planned. No one less than Scott Hanselman will be opening the event with the developer keynote. Build you personalized agenda by viewing and filtering the online session builder.
Deep Dives Day (post-conference)
On the third day of TechDays, on April 28th, we host a Deep Dive day with four different tracks for developers and IT-Pros.
As a developer you can choose between two tracks that go in-depth and focus on Best Practices.
– Visual Studio 2010 Application Lifecycle Management
– Windows Azure Platform Deep Dive
As an IT Professional you can choose between the following two tracks:
– Virtual Desktop Infrastructure with Corey Hynes
– Direct Access with John Craddock
The community is again present for more networking at the Ask-The-Experts zone. This zone will be manned by MVPs, Belgian community leads and the speakers. Don’t miss this opportunity to have your toughest questions answered.
Let your network know you will be attending TechDays 2011 via LinkedIn or Facebook and see who else is coming. Follow us on Twitter and/or like us on Facebook to be on the frontline of the latest TechDays 2011 news.